Skip to Content

What Am I Feeling?
by Dr. Josh & Christi Straub

When God Made You
by Matthew Paul Turner

The Skin You Live In
by Michael Tyler

15 responses to “My Son Asked Me About Race. Here’s Why I Didn’t Give Him The Politically Correct Answer.”

1. Jeanne Harrison says:

I need the crying emoji but I’m on my computer!! Your answer is the most beautiful one I’ve ever heard.

2. Amy English says:

What a beautiful conversation! I’d say Jesus gave you the most perfect words to speak to your sweet boy! And the most perfect words that so many need to hear!

3. Donna says:

I’m not crying, you are …. wiser words I have never heard….

4. Kelsey Dixon says:

This was SO beautiful! I’m glad to have read this and have some insight on how to talk to LF whenever this conversation comes our way. Love you, my wonderful golden friend, and especially love those precious brown babies!

5. Carolina Frederick says:

This is so beautiful, that was the perfect answer. We are God’s babies and we all look like HIm!!! Great post, I love it!

6. Christy Madden says:

What an amazing conversation about our BIG GOD & how much He loves us each & every one of us…because he is our Daddy!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

7. Erica says:

I really love this and think Jesus came through big time. Andddd I can totally feel and understand in my soul your elation at being called golden 🙌🏻

8. Kristen says:

So beautifully written and so true!

9. Mechelle Burns says:

Katie, this is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience, and sharing with everyone.

10. Candice Brown says:

What a well-written, timely blog! Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. Those conversations when they’re young are so precious and stay with our children.

11. Laura Saxon says:

What a wonderful teachable moment. Holy Spirit must have been pleased. Politically correct is not always the correct answer .

12. Sue says:

I find it extremely insulting that the right think “the liberals” don’t believe in God. And who defended civil rights and continues to till this day (unlike the right) “THE LIBERALS”! There would be no equality in this country if it was for “the liberals” That’s what so scary.. you guys twist the truth..

13. Missy says:

This is beautifully written and for my brown son it would work… but not my beautifully brown girl ….. she reminds me at school picnics as she looks around and sees all the white parents sitting with their kids and then there is us … not quite fitting in with the black families either….yes our city has a few mixed families …. but she clearly sees the divide….she wants to know why our family is different and why the ones she loves most don’t match her …. she reminds me “adoption” comes from the brokenness sin brought into the world … yes she does deserve a beautiful black mother as I see her eyes searching the mamas at picnics …. but Jesus can redeem this brokenness in her heart as well as mine….with a love we can’t even comprehend …. It is our family and we are what we are we laugh big and cry big… but I hope it’s the Holy Spirit reminding me tred slowly use words wisely and never ever let her think she can’t love her first Mother and me at the same time

14. Lisa says:

Beautiful; absolutely beautiful!

15. Lorraine Casanelli says:

Just read this and it was at such an appropriate time, because today I gave my soon-to-be nine-year-old granddaughter the book, “Through My Eyes,” by Ruby Bridges, who, at age 6, was accompanied by National Guard members as she attended a “white” school in Louisiana for the first time. That was in 1960 and history was being made. I was 17 then, a junior in high school, and I remember how it impacted me, a northern white girl. I couldn’t understand the hatred that was directed toward that child by adults, especially those who called themselves Christian. I vowed I would work to make sure my own children didn’t learn prejudice, and here I am at 76, doing the same thing with my grandchildren. We just started the book today and haven’t gotten too far into it, but as we read more tomorrow, I will be mindful of your dialogue with your son, and use that to emphasize how God sees us ALL as His children. Beautifully done, my dear. Thank you for sharing your experience with this sensitive subject.